For centuries, people have used enema’s to deal with constipation and bowel problems to cleanse the colon.
The amazing effects of enemas are not just limited to those health issues. Enemas are able to get rid of toxins that build up in your body. Aside from that, you can experience weight loss, a boost in energy, detoxing of the liver, and better circulation of the blood. Enemas are an amazing treatment that can clear up the skin, making you look healthy and refreshed.
Please keep in mind though, if you are suffering from a severe health issue, its recommended that you seek advice from your physician first before using an enema at home. Enemas might not be safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women. This treatment must be used carefully to ensure safety. At all times, filtered water that is in room temperature must be used.
What is an Enema?
Administering an enema is a technique used to get rid of the stool in the colon. In the process, a fluid is injected through the rectum to loosen the stool and make it easier to be expelled. This process assists in treating constipation or cleansing the digestive tract.
There are different types of ingredient that can be used for administering enemas. Some of the most used enema solutions consist of coffee enemas or hot water enemas. Before a person is advised to go through a medical procedure, these are the popular treatments used to treat constipation and for a general colon cleanse. Depending on what type of ingredient you choose, administering an enema can possibly clear heavy metals, reverse gut disease, and give your immune system its much-needed boost.
Things you need for administering an enema in the comfort of your home:
- Enema kit – You can buy a clear enema bag or a stainless-steel enema bucket with medical grade silicone enema tubing. The best enema kit to choose from is theMedisential Enema Kit. At around $40 you can’t go wrong. It’s also the only stainless steel kit on the market today with a silicone lid.
For an Easy Enema Recipe, simply follow instructions below:
- 2-4 cup of warm filtered water
- Ingredients of your choice. Ingredients will depend on your chosen recipe (e.g. probiotics, coffee, herbs, lemon juice, Epsom salt, etc.)
- Medium pan
- Fine mesh strainer and cheesecloth
- Lubricant (e.g. organic coconut oil)
- Anything else that will help you get comfortable. (Towel, pillow, mat or whatever you need as you lie on the floor.)
Administering an Enema Solution
Administering an enema solution is best to do after your first bowel movement in the morning.
- Before preparing your enema kit, make sure to read all the instructions that came with it.
- Prepare your chosen enema solution. It has to be lukewarm (37-40C or 98-104F). It is crucial that your solution has been filtered and strained carefully using a strainer and cheesecloth.
- Carefully pour the enema solution into the bag or bucket. While doing this, see to it that the clamp is closed and secure before you pour.
- Place the bag or bucket higher than your body, such as on a table or chair beside you. If you are in the bathroom, hang the bag from the shower rod.
- Once you found a comfortable space where you can lie down, lie on your right side in a fetal position.
- Carefully unlock your enema clamp to enable the liquid to fill the tubing, then clamp tight.
- Use a lubricant for the tip of your nozzle. Make sure that the tip is lubricated well before proceeding to the next step.
- Gently insert it 2 inches into your rectum. To make things easier, try to keep your left leg towards your chest and your right leg straight. Maintain this position.
- Carefully unlock the clamp and let the enema solution flow. If you are uncomfortable or start feeling any pain, just pinch the tube to slow it down. If you begin to notice some air bubbles in your tubing, stop the clamp immediately.
- Stay in this position as long as you are feeling alright. Start out slow if it’s your first time. Gradually, you can work your way up to 2-12 minutes.
- After administering, sit on the toilet and wait for a smooth release.
How often should Enemas be used?
It is always best to talk with your physician first before administering any type of enema solution. If you are suffering from a chronic illness, ask your doctor about how often you can administer enemas. Most doctors would recommend administering once or up to 4 times daily.
If you are not suffering from any type of chronic illness, administering enemas once a week is enough to just keep your bowels moving smoothly.
For a quick colon cleanse, water enemas are the easiest option. It is simple and safe to use. It is also very effective in softening the stool. In fact, hospitals use water enemas most of the time as they carry out CT scans.
Various studies on water enemas show positive effects on constipation treatment in kids and adults. And if enema additives are used, such as vegetable glycerin or oil, the rate of continence ability will significantly increase.
If you’ve never tried using enemas before, the water enema is the best option to start with. Do not think about adding different types of ingredients on your first go. It is recommended to use filtered water at all times because the chlorine might kill the good bacteria in your gut.
Steps for Making Water Enema
Preparing a water enema solution is so simple and easy! In fact, all you need is 2-4 cups of filtered water.
- Put 2-4 cups of water in a pan or pot.
- Place the pan on your stovetop and turn it to the highest setting.
- Wait for the water come to a full rolling boil.
- Remove the water from heat and allow cooling into room temperature before using. (Do not skip this step. It is very important.)
A coffee enema is another type of colon cleanse that is safe and effective to use. For so many years, this type of enema solution has been proven effective in detoxing the body and treating cancer. In fact, coffee enemas are a vital part of the Gerson Therapy that cancer patients go through. Many studies have also proven that caffeine — the potent compound found in coffee —is able to open the bile ducts, thus intensifying bile production.
Using coffee ingredient in enemas also fuels the production of glutathione in the liver. It is able to develop glutathione production by up to 600-700% beyond its normal levels. Some people might now know that Glutathione is the most important type of antioxidant that is produced by our bodies. It is considered as the “master antioxidant” which makes it essential for body detoxification. Moreover, glutathione assists in boosting the immune system, improving energy levels and mental clarity. It also aids in neutralizing free radicals that get dissolved in the bile and then defecated from the body.
With that being said, coffee enemas are an effective solution to speed up the detoxification process of the body.
If you are suffering from heavy metal toxicity, a coffee enema cleanse should be done twice or three times a week. Avoid cleansing more than that because other minerals in your body might also get washed-out. If you are not suffering from any health condition, do it only once a week. However, people who are suffering from chronic illness can do them once daily, or even more than that under the supervision of their health care professional.
Steps for Making Coffee Enema Solution
Preparing a coffee enema solution is not that hard. Just remember, that using organic (and mold-free) coffee beans is a must! Using other types of coffee might add more toxins to your body.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of ground coffee and filtered water.
- Brew 3 cups of coffee. See to it that all coffee beans are filtered out of the solution in the process.
- Remove it from heat and allow it to cool into room temperature before using.
There are different types of Herbal enemas that are being used today. Whatever herb you use, you can be assured that it will go straight into the bloodstream to assist the cleansing and healing process as they are absorbed by the intestinal walls.
There are several herbs to choose from if you want to go for this type of enema solution. It all depends on the benefit you want to receive. Just like drinking different herbal teas to remedy ailments and , herbal enemas also work that way.
Chamomile is one of the most used types of herbal enemas. Chamomile boasts its soothing and relaxing benefits. Adding chamomile in your enema solution will relax your colon. It can also lessen the symptoms of gut inflammation, such as intestinal cramps and pain. Due to its calming properties, it is also an effective treatment for anxiety and sleep disorders.
Steps for Making Chamomile Enema Solution
Preparing a chamomile enema solution is not as hard as it seems.
- Put a quart of filtered water in a pan or pot.
- Using flowers or a tea bag, infuse the filtered water with chamomile. Let it boil.
- If you are using chamomile flowers, strain them. If you are using tea bags, put them away.
- Add another quart of cool filtered water.
- Remove the infused water from heat and allow the solution to cool into room temperature before using. (Do not skip this step. It is very important.)
Garlic Enemas (for treating parasites and candida)
Using a garlic enema can help your body get rid of parasites and fight candida. Garlic holds compounds that contain strong medicinal properties. It is a strong antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-parasitic. It is also an effective immune system booster and it aids in clearing out the colon from toxins and mucus.
Garlic is potent so avoid using it on a regular basis. At all times, go for high-quality garlic because are prone to mold.
Furthermore, using garlic enema will cause your colon to absorb the allicin. Allicin is the compound that makes garlic powerful. Absorbing this will cause the body to smell like garlic, so you may want to stay away from people for quite some time while using this solution.
Steps for Making a Garlic Enema Solution
Preparing a chamomile enema solution is not as hard as it seems.
- Prepare 5 cloves of garlic and crush them. Make sure to use high-quality garlic.
- Put the crushed garlic in 1 quart of filtered water. Let it stay for at least 15 minutes.
- Strain the water. Make sure it is warm before using.
Probiotic Enema (for treating gut inflammation)
When it comes to the immune system and brain functioning, the microbiome is an essential part of a human’s well-being. With that being said, administering a probiotic enema solution aids in settling healthy bacteria in the gut. Since they are not roaming in your body by means of the digestive system, they have a greater chance of subsistence.
A probiotic enema doesn’t just affect brain health. All in all, it helps colonize healthy bacteria and lessen gut inflammation. If you are interested in learning more about the gut-brain connection and the benefits of having a healthy gut, read on.
A healthy gut is essential to healthier absorption of vitamins and minerals. It also lessens brain fog, thus improving mood.
Children ages 6-18 years old that are suffering from mild to moderate ulcerative colitis participated in a randomized clinical trial using an enema solution of Lactobacillus (L) reuteri.
The patients were administered with a probiotic enema solution for 8 weeks. The children who complete the trial showed a substantial decrease in inflammation in the L. reuteri group in comparison to the placebo group. Clinical remission in the placebo group was none, while the L. reuteri group was at 31%.
Steps for Making a Probiotic Enema Solution
Preparing a probiotic enema solution only requires 1 teaspoon of probiotic powder and 2 quarts of warm filtered water. This recipe is one of the best ways to boost your gut bacteria!
- Prepare the powdered probiotic. (Lactobacillus plantarum, Bifidobacterium longum, and Bifdocaterium lactis are highly recommended)
- Mix the probiotic powder in the water. Continue mixing until the powder dissolves completely.
- Administer as your enema solution.
Epsom Salt Enema (for treating constipation)
Epsom Salt Enema is just like Water Enema. However, it can provide greater results for treating constipation and cleansing the colon. The Epsom salts ingredient aids in relaxing the intestinal muscles since it is able to draw more water from the intestine into the colon. This is the result of the high quantities of magnesium that also helps in liver detox.
Steps for Making an Epsom Salt Enema Solution
Preparing an Epsom salt enema solution is fast and simple to do. All you need are 8 cups of warm filtered water and 4 tablespoons of Epsom salt.
- Mix the salt in the water until it dissolves completely.
- Administer as your enema solution.
Make sure that you do not use this Enema solution on a regular basis since it can result in dehydration. When administering any type of Enema solution, you have to keep yourself well-hydrated.
Lemon Juice Enema (for pH balance)
Lemon juice is another great cleansing enema solution.
For pH balance, a lemon juice enema is the best solution. Lemons are famous for balancing the pH levels of the colon. It is even effective in treating discomfort linked with colitis.
Steps for Making a Lemon Juice Enema Solution
Preparing a lemon juice enema solution is so simple!
- Squeeze and strain 2/3 cups of lemon.
- Mix the lemon juice in 2 quarts of lukewarm water. See to it that the water is not too hot or too cold.
- Administer as your enema solution using your enema kit.
Avoid using this enema solution more than once a week. This will help you prevent any type of irritation in the intestinal lining. Also, do not hold it in for a long period of time.
- If you are suffering from a severe health issue, consult your physician first before using enema.
- If you pregnant or breastfeeding, enemas might not be safe for you.
- Administering enemas regularly could possibly result in electrolyte imbalances. It is important to keep yourself hydrated. Dehydration one of the main side effects of enema.
- At all times, make sure that your liquid enema solution is cooled to room temperature before you use it. Hot enema solution will burn the rectum and colon. This is a serious matter that may require surgery.
- If you are not comfortable, do not force yourself to keep on holding in the enema solution.
- Do not force yourself to defecate afterward. Just be patient, especially if you are suffering from constipation.
Solving Possible Problems
- You may experience a leakage of water sometimes. When this happens, see to it that the nozzle is placed at least 2 inches into the rectum.
- If you hear bubbling or spurting sounds, do not worry. They are normal. That is just your body getting rid of toxins.
- Sometimes, you may experience having cramps while the liquid is flowing in. When this happens, close the clamp immediately and turn your body slowly from side to side. Relax. Take a few deep breaths. The cramp will go away in no time.