For thousands of years, people used enemas to cleanse the colon and help them treat constipation and other bowel problems.
The wonderful benefits of enemas aren't just limited to those health issues. Enemas are able to get rid of toxins that build up in your body. Aside from that, you can experience weight loss, a boost in energy, detoxing of the liver, and better circulation of the blood. Enemas are an amazing treatment that can clear up the skin, making you look healthy and refreshed.
Please keep in mind though, if you are suffering from a severe health issue, its recommended that you seek advice from your physician first before using an enema solution at your home. Enemas might not be safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women. This treatment must be used carefully to ensure safety. At all times, filtered water that is in room temperature must be used.
What are Enemas?
Administering an enema solution is simply a technique used to get rid of the stool in the colon. In the process, a fluid is injected into the rectum to loosen the stool and make it easier to be expelled. This process assists in treating constipation or cleansing the digestive tract.
There are different types of ingredient that can be used for administering enemas. Some of the most used enema solutions consist of coffee enemas or hot water enemas. Before a person is advised to go through a medical procedure, these are the popular treatments used to treat constipation and for a general colon cleanse. Depending on the type of ingredient you choose, administering an enema can possibly clear heavy metals, heal gut problems, and give your immune system its much-needed boost.
Things you need for administering an enema in the comfort of your home:
- Enema bucket kit – You may buy a clear enema bag or a stainless-steel enema bucket that features silicone enema tube that is medical grade. The best enema kit to choose from is Medisential’s Enema Kit. At around $40 you can’t go wrong. It’s also the only stainless steel kit on the market today with a silicone lid.
For an Easy Enema Recipe, simply follow instructions below:
- 2-4 cup of warm filtered water
- Ingredients of your choice. Ingredients will depend on your chosen recipe (e.g. probiotics, coffee, herbs, lemon juice, Epsom salt, and many others)
- A medium-sized pan
- A fine-mesh strainer and a cheesecloth
- Lubricant (e.g. organic coconut oil)
- Anything else that will help you get comfortable. (Towel, pillow, mat or anything else you may need as you lie down.)
Administering an Enema Solution
Administering an enema solution is best to do after your very first bowel movement in the morning.
- Before preparing your enema kit, make sure to read all the instructions that came with it.
- Prepare your chosen enema solution. It has to be lukewarm (37-40C or 98-104F). It is crucial that your enema solution is filtered and strained carefully using a mesh strainer and clean cheesecloth.
- Carefully pour the enema solution in the bucket or bag. But before doing this, see to it that the clamp is tightly sealed.
- Place the bag or bucket higher than the position of your body. You may find a table or chair beside you that might be useful.
- Once you found a comfortable space where you can lie down, lie down on your right side. Curve your body and bow your head (fetal position).
- Carefully unlock the clamp of the enema to enable the liquid solution to fill the rube. Clamp tightly once it is done.
- Use a lubricant for the nozzle’s tip. Make sure that the tip is lubricated well before proceeding to the next step.
- Slowly insert the tubing 2 inches inside your rectum. To make things easier, try to keep your right leg straight. However, your left leg must be placed toward the chest. Maintain this position.
- Carefully unclamp the bag and let the solution If you are uncomfortable or start feeling any pain, just pinch the tube in order to slow down the flow. If you begin to notice some air bubbles, unclamp the bag immediately.
- Stay in your position. Start slow if it’s your first time. Gradually, you can add more minutes.
- After administering, sit on the toilet and wait for a smooth release.
How often should Enemas be used?
It is always best to talk with your physician first before administering any kind of enema solution. If you are suffering from a chronic illness, ask your doctor about how often you can administer enemas. Most doctors would recommend administering once or up to 4 times daily.
If you are not suffering from any type of chronic illness, administering enemas once a week is enough to just keep your bowels moving smoothly.
If you are looking for a quick colon cleanse, a water enema is the easiest option. It is simple and safe to use. It is also very effective in softening the stool. In fact, hospitals use water enemas most of the time as they carry out CT scans.
Various studies conducted regarding water enemas show positive effects on constipation treatment in kids and adults. And if enema additives are used, such as vegetable glycerin or oil, the rate of continence (ability to control bowel movement or bladder) will significantly increase.
If you’ve never tried using enemas before, the water enema is the perfect option to start with. Do not think about adding different types of ingredients on your first go. It is recommended to use clean filtered water at all times because the chlorine might kill the good bacteria in your gut.
Steps for Making Water Enema
Preparing an enema water solution is so simple and easy! In fact, the only thing you have to prepare are 2-4 cups of filtered water.
- Put 2-4 cups of filtered water in a pan or pot.
- Place the pan on your stove top and turn it to the highest setting.
- Wait for the water come to a full rolling boil.
- Remove the water from heat. Let it cool into room temperature before using. (Do not skip this important step.)
A coffee enema is another type of colon cleanse that is safe and effective to use. For so many years, this type of enema solution has been proven effective in detoxing the body. Some even claim that it is an effective way to treat cancer. In fact, coffee enemas are a vital part of a therapy that cancer patients go through (the Gerson Therapy). Many studies have also proven that caffeine — the potent compound found in coffee —is able to open up bile ducts, thus intensifying bile production.
Using coffee ingredient in enemas also fuels the production of glutathione in our livers. It is able to develop glutathione production by 600 to 700% beyond its normal levels. Some people might now know that Glutathione is considered to be the most important type of antioxidant that is produced by our bodies. It is considered as the “master antioxidant” which makes it essential for body detoxification. Moreover, glutathione assists in boosting the immune system, improving energy levels and mental clarity. It also aids in neutralizing free radicals that breaks down in the bile, then defecated out of the body.
With that being said, coffee enemas are an effective solution to fasten the detoxification process of the body.
If you are suffering from heavy metal poisoning or toxicity, a quick coffee enema cleanse should be done twice or three times a week. Avoid cleansing more than thrice a week because the beneficial minerals inside your body might also get washed-out. If you aren’t suffering from any health condition, do it only once a week. However, people who are suffering from chronic illness can do them once daily, or even more than that under the supervision of their health care professional.
Steps for Making a Coffee Enema Solution
Preparing a coffee enema solution is not that hard. Just remember that using organic coffee beans is a must! Using other types of coffee might add even more toxins in your body.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of ground coffee and filtered water.
- Brew 3 cups of coffee. See to it that all coffee beans have been filtered out of the enema solution.
- Remove it from the heat. Allow it to cool into room temperature before using.
There are different types of Herbal enemas that are being used today. Whatever herb you use, you can be assured that it will go straight in your bloodstream in order to assist the cleansing and healing process as they are absorbed by the intestinal walls.
There are several herbs to choose from if you want to go for this type of enema solution. It all depends on the benefit you want to receive. Just like drinking different herbal teas to remedy ailments and , herbal enemas also work that way.
Chamomile is one of the common types of herbal enemas being used today. Chamomile boasts its soothing and relaxing benefits. Adding chamomile in your enema solution will relax your colon. It can also lessen the symptoms of gut inflammation, such as intestinal pain and cramps. Due to its calming properties, it is also an effective treatment for anxiety and sleep disorders.
Steps for Making Chamomile Enema Solution
Preparing an enema chamomile solution is not as hard as it seems.
- Put a quart of clean waterin a pan or pot.
- Using flowers or a tea bag, infuse the filtered water with chamomile. Let it boil.
- If you are using chamomile flowers, strain them. If you are using tea bags, put them away.
- Add one more quart offiltered water.
- Remove the infused water from heat and allow the solution to cool into room temperature before using. (Do not skip this step. It is very important.
Garlic Enemas (to treat parasites and candida)
Using a garlic enema can help your body get rid of parasites and fight candida. Garlic holds compounds that contain strong medicinal properties. It is a powerful antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-parasitic. It is also an effective immune system booster and it aids in clearing out the colon from toxins and mucus.
Garlic is potent so avoid using it on a regular basis. At all times, go for top-quality garlic.
Furthermore, using garlic enema will cause your colon to absorb the allicin. Allicin is the compound that makes garlic powerful. Absorbing this will cause the body to smell like garlic, so you may want to stay away from people for quite some time while using this solution.
Steps for Preparing a Garlic Enema Liquid Solution
Preparing a chamomile enema solution is not as hard as it seems.
- Prepare 5 cloves of fresh garlic. Crush them. Make sure to use high-quality garlic.
- Put the crushed garlic in a single quart of filtered water. Let it stay for at least 15 minutes.
- Carefully strain the water. Make sure it is warm before using.
Probiotic Enemas (perfect for treating gut inflammation)
When it comes to the immune system and brain functioning, the human microbiome plays an essential part of his or her overall well-being. With that being said, administering a probiotic enema solution aids in settling beneficial bacteria inside the gut. Since they aren’t roaming in your body by means of the digestive tracts, they have a greater chance of subsistence.
Probiotic enemas don’t just affect brain health. All in all, it helps establish beneficial bacteria and lessen gut inflammation. If you are interested in learning more information regarding the relation of the brain and gut, continue reading.
A healthy gut is essential to healthier absorption of minerals and vitamins. It also lessens brain fog, thus improving mood.
Children ages 6-18 years old that are suffering from mild to moderate ulcerative colitis participated in a clinical trial using a liquid enema solution consisting of Lactobacillus (L) reuteri.
The patients were administered with a probiotic enema solution for 8 weeks. The children who complete the trial showed a substantial reduction in inflammation in comparison to the group who wasn’t administered with enemas. The placebo group has 0% clinical remission, unlike the Lactobacillus L. reuteri group that claims 31%.
Steps for Making a Probiotic Enema Solution
Preparing a liquid solution using probiotic enema only requires 1 teaspoon of probiotic powder and 2 quarts of warm filtered water. This easy recipe is one of the best ways to boost your gut bacteria!
- Prepare the powdered form of the probiotic to be used. (Lactobacillus plantarum, Bifidobacterium longum, and Bifdocaterium lactis are highly recommended)
- Mix the powder of probiotic in the water. Continue mixing until the powder dissolves completely.
- Administer as an enema solution using an enema bucket kit.
Epsom Salt Enema (perfect for treating constipation)
Epsom Salt Enemas are just like Water Enema. However, it can provide greater results for treating constipation and detoxifying the colon. Epsom salts, as the main ingredient, aids in relaxing the intestinal muscles since it is able to draw a huge amount of water into your colon. This is the result of the high quantities of magnesium that also helps in liver detox.
Steps for Making an Enema Solution with Epsom Salt
Preparing an Epsom salt enema solution is fast and simple to do. All you need are 7-8 cups of clean filtered water and 4 tablespoons of Epsom salt.
- Mix the salt in the water until it dissolves completely.
- Administer as your enema solution.
Make sure that you do not use this Enema solution on a regular basis since it can result in dehydration. When administering any type of Enema solution, you have to keep yourself well-hydrated.
Lemon Juice Enema Solution (perfect for pH balance)
Lemon juice is another great cleansing enema solution.
For pH balance, a lemon juice enema is the best solution. Lemons are famous for balancing the colon’s pH levels. It is even effective in treating discomfort linked with colitis.
Steps for Making a Lemon Juice Enema Solution
Preparing an enema solution with lemon juice is so simple!
- Squeeze and strain 2/3 cups of lemon.
- Mix the lemon juice in 2 quarts lukewarm water. See to it that the water is not too cold or hot.
- Administer as your enema solution using an enema bucket kit.
Avoid using this enema solution twice a week. This will help you prevent any type of irritation in the intestinal lining. Also, avoid holding it in for a long period of time.
- If you are suffering from a severe health issue, consult your physician first before using enema.
- If you pregnant or breastfeeding, enemas might not be safe for you.
- Administering enemas regularly could possibly result in electrolyte imbalances. It is important to keep yourself hydrated. Dehydration one of the main side effects of enema.
- At all times, make sure that your liquid enema solution is cooled to room temperature before you use it. Hot enema solution will burn the rectum and colon. This is a serious matter that may require surgery.
- If you are not comfortable, do not force yourself to keep on holding in the enema solution.
- Do not force yourself to defecate afterward. Just be patient, especially if you are suffering from constipation.
Solving Possible Problems
- You may experience water leak sometimes. When this happens, see to it that the tip of the nozzle is carefully placed 2 inches inside the rectum.
- Just in case you hear bubbling or spurting sounds, do not worry. They are normal. That is just your body getting rid of toxins.
- Sometimes, you may experience having cramps as the liquid flows in. When this happens, unclamp the tube Relax your body. Take some deep breaths and wait for the cramp to go away in no time.